About Doug Labor, Steamboat Springs Realtor
An extraordinary combination of early life experiences has made Doug Labor one of the most sought-after brokers in Steamboat Springs.
“Forty years in the business might be a testament that I have something to offer. But who knows, maybe it’s just my charm,” jested Doug Labor, a top broker in the resort town of Steamboat Springs.
Doug began his journey toward becoming one of the top brokers in Steamboat in an unusual place: engineering. Upon graduating from Slippery Rock University (PA), he headed as far west as the North Dakota oil fields where he worked as a fluids engineer. Later, he was offered a career opportunity at a nuclear weapons plant near Denver. Not one to sit idly by, while he was waiting to get his year-long security clearance, he worked for a surveyor and obtained his real estate license.
Unexpectedly, the nuclear plant shuttered its doors, which effectively ended that career move. However, that opened the doors to real estate where he was already experiencing early success.
“I was kind of lucky,” Doug said. “It got me to the mountains and living the lifestyle I deeply love. Also, my clients appreciate the broad skill set I have gained along the way.”
He quickly advanced working in the resort real estate climate, holding executive level positions with some of the largest ski resort operators in the Rockies, including Steamboat.
Doug explained that his engineering background allows him to have an edge over other brokers because he’s an expert at assessing and forecasting the market, and problem solving.
While recalling a recent client purchase where they were competing with over 20 other offers, he crafted an offer to secure the property from his market expertise and recommendations. “I love sharing my insights and thinking outside the box to help my clients,” he said.
Decades of experience notwithstanding, Doug feels the essence of his success springs from his policy of always putting his clients first.
Sellers know they will have options when listing with him, explaining, “I’ll prepare a very comprehensive market analysis on their property including my opinion on market value, then see whether they would like to list at, above or below value, depending on their desire and timing”.
“I always listen to my client’s needs and preferences, and I approach every transaction as if I’m buying or selling it myself,” he said.
As an example, he reminisces a time he and a client were viewing a home. After Doug pointed out potential design concerns, his client said “See, this is exactly why my friend John said I should work with you!”
Doug’s competitive nature and drive allows him to shine in real estate. In his youth, Doug was an athlete whose success earned an induction into the Mercer County Sports Hall of Fame.
Now, after 40 years in real estate, Doug reflects that the values he learned in sports transfers to how he approaches business with his clients. Like a teammate, he protects his client’s interests and tirelessly fights for their offers. While many top agents have teams of assistants to handle much of their business, Doug works directly with every client, ensuring the best outcomes by making himself accessible and available to his clients.
“I want to be the reason clients get the deal they want, not the reason they miss out,” he said.
The best compliment, Doug said, is knowing he made his clients happy, so much so that they refer him to their family and friends, or they seek him out again to sell or buy a different property if their needs change.
“All in all, the biggest reward for me are the people I’ve helped and lasting friendships I’ve made,” he said.
Four decades of experience have earned Doug many prestigious awards. He has been twice voted ‘Realtor of the Year’ by his peers, he was voted ‘Best of the Boat Broker’ by the Steamboat community on two occasions, and he has served two terms as president of the Steamboat Springs Board of Realtors.
Doug, his wife Mary, and their three children moved to Steamboat Springs in 1997. In their free time they enjoy golfing, skiing, travelling and things outdoors. Doug also enjoys playing ice hockey and is a private pilot. With every closing they donate to various charitable causes around Steamboat.
My professional designations, industry and community service…
I am continuously building my knowledge of the industry. Here is a list of my accreditations, leadership and awards;
- Graduate, Realtor Institute (GRI),1989
- American Resort Development Association's prestigious Registered Resort Professional (RRP), 1997
- Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR), 2006
- Accredited Buyer Representative Manager (ABRM), 2006
- National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents Association's (NAEBA) Certified Exclusive Buyer Agent (CEBA), 2007
- Electronic Professional (e-PRO), 2008
- Certified Residential Specialist (CRS), 2014
- Founding member of the Colorado Exclusive Buyer Agents Association (CEBAA), 2000
- CEBAA President, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2013
- Mountain Director for the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents (NAEBA), 2001 - 2003
- President, Steamboat Springs Board of REALTORS, 2005, 2014
- Board of Directors, Steamboat Springs Board of REALTORS, 2001 - 2006
- Director, Colorado Association of REALTORS (CAR), 2004 – 2006, 2014
- CAR’s Professional Standards Committee, 2016 - Present
- Steamboat Springs Affordable Housing Measurement Committee, 2008
- Yampa Valley Data Partners, Board of Directors, 2015 - 2018
- Steamboat Mountain Soccer Tournament, Assistant Director, 2004 - 2006
- Steamboat Springs REALTOR of the Year, 2005, 2014
- "Best REALTOR" Steamboat Pilot newspaper’s “Best of the Boat”, 2012, 2014
Toll-Free Phone - 877.970.8885 x101
Local Phone - 870.8885 x101