Considerations When Selecting a Steamboat Contractor or Home Remodeler
- Shop around...don’t rush into choosing a contractor.
- Get references from me, your friends, neighbors & family who may have had similar work completed.
- Get at least three written estimates for the identical work so that you can compare bids.
- Get references from the contractors so you can check on their work.
- Call the City of Steamboat Springs, Routt County, or other municipality and check if there have been any complaints against any of the companies you might consider for your remodeling.
- After you have made a choice of contractor, don’t let work begin without a signed contract. Be sure to seriously consider having an attorney review prior to signing.
- Be wary of signing a “letter or agreement” or even a contractor bid form—this might be a binding contract.
- Be sure to specify what is to be done and when work is to be completed.
Make sure the contract contains:
- Who will do the work.
- When the work is to be completed.
- A detailed list of specific materials to be used.
- The appliances / or fixtures to be supplied.
- The dates for beginning and completing the job.
- Monetary penalties for non-completion of project on time.
- A provision for the cleanup of the premises.
- Don’t sign a contract that reads “work as per agreement”.
- Specify that contractor will obtain all necessary licenses and permits.
- Specify contractor will meet all zoning regulations & building codes.
- Be sure contractor will indemnify you in case of not meeting all regulations.
- Be sure that the contract states the contractor is responsible for any damages to your property.
- If contractor guarantees the work, be sure it specifically states what is guaranteed and for how long.
- Contract should state when payment is due. Never pay full price in advance; link payments to certain stages of completion of the entire job.
- Final payment and the signing of any completion certificate should only take place when the work is completed to your satisfaction.
Browse Our Selling Resources